Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Table Pumpkins

DIY Table Top Pumpkins

I don't know about y'all, but I love the fall. Living in Florida we don't get the beautiful weather, but I still get all the fall feels of the holidays approaching. It's also a chance to change up my home decor and start getting festive. We at Wrinkles and Grace started giving y'all some ideas of how to get your home ready for pumpkin season last week. My mom, Ginny, shared step by step directions on how to make gorgeous topiary out of pumpkins on the blog. They look amazing framing her front door. I encourage you to head over and check out that post also if you missed it. That post inspired me to create a smaller version. I love the large pumpkin topiary. However, many people live in apartments or they don't have the space for a fall display that large. So, how do you get the look without the front porch. You make mini ones for your table top and this is how you do it on a budget. These cuties come in at about $4 each.

This is what my final product looks like. But, I want to start this off by saying it is completely and easily customizable. If you don't care for my color choice or they way I displayed them here. I give tips of how to make it perfect for you at each step.


Now, for the step by step directions.
First, you are going to need 3 small pumpkins. You do have to options to use three of the same size pumpkins. However, I like the look of the three being staggered in size. I found mine at the dollar tree. 


Pictured above are the pumpkins that I chose. The next step was to remove the tags and anything else (like the flowers on top) that you don't want.


At this point if you do not like the color, you can use a spray paint for acrylic paint to make them match the look you would prefer for your home. One of the best parts of this is how easy it is to customize it to your own style. 


The two candle sticks pictured above I found in my garage among with a pile of stuff I can't seem to get rid of. Projects like this one is the reason why I don't think I will ever park in my garage. I save everything because eventually there is a use for it and I will wish I had it or them. These two candle sticks were two different colors. I just used a can of flat white spray paint to get the look I was hoping for. The candle stick on the right was clear and I found it at the dollar tree in the past, but I you can still find the same ones there.


One of the pumpkins that I chose for this project was ceramic. To be able to get them to stack correctly, I needed to hollow out the inside of the one that would sit on top. This way the stem could hid and sit flush under the top pumpkin.


Before starting to glue, you may want to head outside and find a stick or two. I grab one and broke into three equal pieces. I am going to use these to give the topiary a more rustic farmhouse look. But, again its an option and you can chose to leave the stem you have for something totally different. I would have loved to have a real pumpkin stem, unfortunately they aren't available in my area yet. So, these sticks have to do.


Excuse my hot glue gun, I use the thing more than you can even imagine and I am having trouble deciding whether I should upgrade or replace with them same thing. Glue gun connoisseur's feel free to comment with your opinion. Anyway, I simply used hot glue to stick each layer together. Do make sure to put the glue on the candle stick and not the pumpkin, this way you will avoid unsightly drips or not getting them securely glued. 


Also, on the layer that I had to hollow out, I put glue in the hole and around the opening. That way the glue will not show around the base.


After I glued and stacked the pumpkins on top of each other, I stuck the stick on the top to finish it off. Make sure do you as I say and not as I do. Start gluing from the candle stick up. In the picture above I did not do that due to drying spray paint, which made it a little more difficult to balance and get them stacked straight.


That's it. I personally decided to make three. I like the aesthetic of odd numbers in decorations like these. My total cost was $6. 

I hope you take the time to make these and enjoy them as much I do. 

Rachel Batey



No comments: