Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Don't Let The Old Girl In

 Have you ever found yourself wondering about age? Has the word old or older become part of your description of self ? What is old anyway?


 Webster says, Old is Ancient, of long standing, Distinguished from an object of the same kind by an earlier date, having existed for a specified period of time, advanced in years or age, showing characteristics of age, Experienced, Former, showing the effects of time, worn, aged, no longer in use Discarded like old rags, Tiresome

 Adjectives of old according to Webster, being in advanced years and especially past middle age
 Synonyms: aged, aging, ancient, elderly, geriatric, long-lived, older, over-the-hill, senescent, senior, unyoung
 Related words: centenarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, oldish, adult, grown-up, mature, middle-aged, pensioned, retired, superannuated, matriarchal, patriarchal, venerable, decrepit, doddering, senile, spavined, tottery, over aged

 Oh, my! That is a lot of words referring to old. So what do you think? Is old knocking at your door?
 One day while looking in the mirror I saw a new person. Her face had changed." Woe! How did that happen? When did that happen? Did I miss something? Where is that 30 year old face?" I found myself manipulating my face by pulling the now loose skin that has gathered at my jaw line up towards my ears. As the realization hit me I froze. I began analyzing every millimeter of my face. My eyes stared back at me, one had become lazier than it had ever before and seemed to be asleep at the wheel. Then I smiled into my reflection, "Well hello you!" 

 Had I really thought that my face would never change? In all honesty, I thought my face would always be the same. I had never given a thought to the possibility that I would see an older face in the mirror and it would belong to me. You know how a teenager thinks they are invincible? I guess I always thought age would never touch me.

 The age question kind of hit me hard this spring, it sent me into a huge realization and analyzation of self. Which was a hard process to go though but also a very good one. I'm grateful for that time of refection, actualization and growth. In that time I began wondering how others felt about age. Recently I asked family and friends questions about their thoughts and or feelings on age. I hope you well be encouraged and inspired as you read some of the responses to the Question of Old. 

 I  began my exploration of old by Face Timing my seven year old grandson Jude. "Hello Jude, I would like to ask you a question. What do you think makes a person old?" His first response was that he did not know but after a moment of processing he came back with, " White hair!" I then asked, "I'm I old?" he said, "Yes!" Trying not to laugh too hard I asked him if he thought his mom was old. Jude replied with an emphatic, " No, her hair is gray. She's not old." At this point I am dying, trying not to break out in a full blown laugh attack. "Hey Jude, is Jay old?" Jude says matter of fact, "Yes! He has white hair."


  Gray hair is a glorious crown worn by those who have lived right. Proverbs 16:31 CEV

  Recently a 37 year old was asked, When, if ever have you felt like you were getting old? His reply was, "This year. While fishing a long weekend off shore and over night I realized I need to start doing something. My body did not handle the trip like it use to."

 The glory of men is their strength, grey hair the splendor of the old. Proverbs 20:29 NIV

 I have two friends who have both had a heart attack in their 60's one male and the other female. I asked both of them the same question. "Have you had a time in your life when you felt like you were getting older?" I knew for sure they would say after my heart attack. My mistake, they both said," no." I said, "Really, not even after your heart attack?" they both said, "no". I found this very interesting. Then I remembered going through some pretty scary health things in my own life. I was not thinking about age at the time I was thinking about, how to get better, stay better and move on.

 Two women in their late 70's, were asked this same question at separate times. However their reactions were the same. "You know Ginny, I just don't think about it." My response was, " And that's why you are so young." These responses were not too, far from my husbands answer which was, "It's all about attitude."

 Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you. Psalm 9:10 NIV

 While swimming in the pool with Isla who is three I asked, "Isla when do you think a person is old?" She got so excited, "Old! I will be old when I am six! "She was so happy and smiling, "I'll be Old, like Jude!" Don't you just love this. The excitement of a child to grow another year older.


 A man now 78 was asked," Have you ever felt like you were getting older?" I did not get a short answer to this question. I got a very wise answer with a lot of prospective yet in the end he said,"For me it was when I was 47, I came to realize I was middle aged, things had gotten hard financially and I had a wife and children to care for and provide for."

 At 32, a women had just gone through postpartum and found out she was pregnant again. The hospital bills were adding up after having two babies so close together. There was a moment when she thought,"Wow, I'm a mommy and wife with major responsibility's. I'm getting old."  

 While a 34 year old looks in the mirror and is disappointed in herself because she can see the effects of all those years she spent in the sun with no sun screen ."You know, now I take good care of my skin, but I wish I would have done a better job when I was younger."

 At 59 with 60 knocking on her door, I ask, "Do you ever think your getting older?" She responded  in laughter. "Yes! I look in the mirror and say, 'Who are you? You are not me! What happened?'" 

  While having dinner with friends I asked the question ,"Have you ever felt like you were getting older? "One of the ladies had just lost her mother. Sadly she said,"Yes, Now that my Mom has passed away their is the reality that I am now the matriarch of the family."

 Another friend responded, "When I realized, when the next baby arrives in our family my daughter will be a grandmother and I will be a great grandmother."

 As we went around the table each giving their response to the question of age, the oldest gentlemen in the group says, "You did not ask me?" I smiled. "That is because I already know your answer." He says, "You do?" "I believe so, but please tell us your secret." Smiling he answers, "I don't let the Old Man in".
 I have been watching this 83 year old man out perform all of us for several years now. He does it all, paddle boarding, walking, skiing, taking care of boats and houses and so much more. This man definitely does not act old. I believe it's because he does not let that old man in by staying active, he is happier and looks younger.

 We all age and as each year passes we hope we are wiser and pray we are healthy both mentally and physically. Yet if life throws us a curve ball, which it will, we have the choice whether or not to "let the old man or women in."

 May the gray hair and wrinkles in life bring you wisdom and grace,

Ginny Taylor

   




No comments: